:::: MENU ::::

Get the best possible FREE NOTES -VEDIOES .B.Ed Notes for Andra Pradesh States. English Grammer Notes.CHSE | ICSE | CBSE Notes Class 6 to 12 .

  • November 07, 2019
Direct to Indirect speech (Interrogative Sentence)
An interrogative sentence has a question.
Rules for converting an interrogative sentence to Indirect speech are as follows:
  • Remove the comas and inverted commas.
  • Do not use that in the sentence of indirect speech.
  • Remove the question mark in the sentence of Indirect speech.
  • Change the words like ‘say’ or ‘tell’ to ‘ask’ or ‘inquire’.
  • If the sentence of Direct speech has question that can be answered by saying yes or no then it uses “if” or “whether” in its Indirect speech.
For example,
She said to me, “Do you like coffee?” (Direct speech)
She asked me if I liked coffee. (Indirect speech)
If the sentence of Direct speech has question that cannot be answered by saying yes or no then it does not uses “if” or “whether” in its Indirect speech.
For example,
She said to me, “Where did you this dress from?” (Direct speech)
She asked me where I bought this dress from. (Indirect speech)

A call-to-action text Contact us